The fountain was carved out of granite, Hans Getzinger from Haslach, who was responsible for all the stonework at the time, made it.
The fountain is a simple, six-sided Renaissance work, its ornament is the fountain figure, an old man hewn from white marble, by the Linz sculptor Johann Spaz, with the sun in his hand. The old man is the first abbot of the Schlägl Abbey, which led the fortunes from 1626-1665. On the one hand he symbolizes his name, Graysing-Greis, and on the other hand his government program, which after the turmoil of the Reformation and the peasant wars again caused the sun to rise over our region.
This fountain was from 1628 - 1858 in the large courtyard of the Schlägl Abbey. When, after the fire of 1850, they began to extend the tract above the brewery, setting up an arcade of the wall on which the corridor of the upper floor should rest, the fountain no longer stood in the middle, and it no longer fitted in harmoniously the abbey court, one carried it off therefore and gave it to the Aignern. Since then, the fountain has stood on the market square of Aigen, an adornment of the square and a monument of bygone times.