St. Oswald is first mentioned in documents from 1277. Wittigo of Krumlov bequeathed three villages to the monastery of Hohenfurt on his deathbed in the presence of the pastor Prebislaus of Friedberg and Christian St. Oswaldi. The documents were likely to be closed at Wittinghausen castle, which is likely to prove the presence of the pastors of the neighboring parishes. St. Oswald has probably already been a parish at this time. The reclamation up to Aigen seems to have taken place in the 12th century. St. Oswald and the surrounding villages were built on the clearing field owned by the Blankengerger-Wittigonen-Rosenberger. They arose out of "wild root", meaning the harvester beat them out of the woods. The village names Schwackerreith, Damreith, Günterreith (Reith - grubbing), the culture strips, field names and the village well suggest this as well.