The history of Lichtenau <http://www.boehmerwald.at/de/boehmerwald/region-boehmerwald/orte/lichtenau.html> im Mühlkreis refers to Lichtenau castle. Sifrid the Hugenberger was the first known owner of the castle. He died in 1293 and was buried in the Schlägl monastery. The stronghold was a fief of the Rosenbergs and came to the Jörger and the Oedter by marriage. Meanwhile Wallseer fief, it was property of the Herleinsperger until the linage was extinct 1624. Again through marriage the castle came to the Schiffer and in 1661 to the Counts Sprinzenstein. As a marriage gift in 1728 to the counts Welsberg until 1831, the Canvas dealer Georg Fölser from Haslach bought it, and from the Fölser it went back to the family of the original owner, the linen and cotton factory Vonwiller in Haslach. During the Russians occupation in 1945 the castle, its collections and the interior was burned down. The castle was partly rebuilt and is now privately owned.