Experience history in the Böhmerwald (Bohemian Forest)
- 3 nights
- 3 nights with breakfast or half board at a traditional inn
- visit to the historical Schauschwemme (show floating) at the Schwarzenbergischer Schwemmkanal (Schwarzenberg log flume)
- bicycle tour with an e-bike
- opportunity to visit the following museums: Mechanische Klangfabrik (mechanical sound factory) (Haslach), Webereimuseum (museum of weaving) (Haslach), Erlebniswelt Villa sinnenreich (Villa realm of senses adventure world) (Rohrbach), Ölmühle Haslach (Haslach oil mill), Speckwerkstatt Haudum (Haudum bacon factory) (Helfenberg), Aussichtstürme Alpen- und Moldaublick (Alpenblick and Moldaublick lookout towers) (Ulrichsberg), Kulturhaus and Glasmuseum Ulrichsberg (Ulrichsberg house of culture and glass museum)
Depending on arrival! Fixed event is the Schauschwemme (show floating) in the Sonnenwald (Sonnenwald forest) on 07 June 2015!
Thursday through Saturday
The secret eighth wonder of the world - the Schwarzenbergischer Schwemmkanal (Schwarzenberg log flume)
The deep forests of the Böhmerwald (Bohemian Forest) keep a secret wonder of the world - the Schwarzenbergischer Schwemmkanal. This log flume originated in the 18th century. A bold undertaking that could only be realised with highly advanced knowledge of structural engineering. This act of pioneering consisted of overcoming the continental watershed (790 m) between the Danube and the Moldau. During the “Goldene Zeit der Schwemme” (golden age of lumber floating), 8 million cubic metres of wood were transported. For several years, the Schwarzenbergischer Schwemmkanal has been coming to life every year during the Schauschwemmen (lumber show floatings).
Day 1: Arrive, and enjoy panoramic views
Upon your arrival, we will greet you with a welcome drink. Enjoy the view of the Upper Mühlviertel and the Czech Republic from one of the lookout towers, or discover the diversity of high-quality linen produced at the Leinenmanufaktur Leitner (Leitner linen manufacture) in Ulrichsberg.
Day 2: Bike tour along the Schwemmkanal (log flume) and Schauschwemme (show floating)
The larger mountains become less threatening with an e-bike. Along the Schwemmkanal, however, you will not find any! The “Auge des Böhmerwalds”(Eye of the Bohemian Forest) (Adalbert Stifter) - the Plöckensteinersee (Lake Plöckensteinersee) is worth a detour. In the afternoon, you will visit the historical Schauschwemme at the Schwarzenbergischer Schwemmkanal.
Day 3: Hiking and discovering
Today you will have the opportunity to visit a particularity of the Schwemmkanal. After a hike to the Steilstufe (scarp) near Morau, you will be able to see how dangerous the lumber transport must have been at this spot. Afterwards, you will have the opportunity to taste linseed oil, a regional speciality.
Day 4: Depart with many interesting memories
Before your departure, you can still learn a lot about the Böhmerwaldglas (Bohemian Forest glass) which is produced here. With a small souvenir, you will then leave the Böhmerwald holiday region.
- 3 nights with breakfast EUR 167.00 per person in a double room
- 3 nights with half board EUR 201.00 per person in a double room
- surcharge for single persons EUR 30.00
- additional night possible
- children’s discount upon request
- rates excl. tourism levy EUR 1.50/person/night
- Suitable for seniors
- Suitable for friends
- Suitable for couples
- For families